17/09/2016

One Tough Cookie


Revolution and art are practices done without consent. No one will give you permission to burn a city and kill your oppressors. No entity can rightfully permit the creation of a work of art. This, an Oreo Carved by my hand in Ebony and Ivory. On the surface It’s POP, but You and I know this is loaded, and really what good art isn’t ? What’s the life of an elephant worth ? what’s the value of a rainforest ? How long can we feed corporate greed ? How long are people going to hate and when can they please stop ? I was struck when I read, ‘Nothing Personal’ by James Baldwin, and came to the understanding that the social division caused by racism provides benefit to a small number of people in power. The Roman epithet,“Divide and Conquer ”, comes to mind. Sir Paul and Stevie Wonder make me wonder, why all these tough questions for such a little cookie ? 

There’s more, each oreo i make, has a secret inside. Some open and have scrimshaw inside. Others are permanently sealed with a silver word inside. It’s invisible, you can’t see it, but if you x-ray the oreo the word is there. I provide a signed x-ray print with each oreo so the owner can see what’s in their oreo. I sign the x-ray print, not the oreo sculpture. Regarding the use of ivory, i use recycled ivory, and in a world where people see the need to save cardboard, it seemed wrong to let a valuable material go to waste. 

For all its worth, Jerry Saltz said it was good art, and that’s alright by me! 
I’m horse trading oreos, so get in and play.


No comments: